The homemade chicken soup was something that was on our supper table basically every Sunday while growing up. My mother would consistently make it without any preparation, there was no doubt. Ordering takes out or making it from a blend or something was incomprehensible.
Chicken soup must be produced using scratch. What’s more, for that, you need an entire chicken, no uncertainties, and additionally buts about it. You need an entire chicken with skin and bones whatnot. The meat and bones give the stock so much flavor and measurement.
Homemade Chicken Soup
- Two large saucepans
- Two forks
- 1 whole chicken approximately 1.5kg
- 4 onion roughly chopped
- 4 carrot roughly chopped
- 4 stick celery roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 leek or 3 shallots roughly chopped
- 3 clove garlic finely sliced
- 10 cm ginger peeled
- 1 lemon zested
- 50 mg parsley leaves or 1 tbsp dried parsley finely chopped
- to test salt
- Place the whole chicken, one onion, one carrot, one celery, bay leaf andthyme into a large saucepan. Cover the ingredients with cold water and add a pinch of salt.
- Turn the heat of the saucepan to high and bring the water to a boil. Skim any scum that rises to the top of the pan then turn the heat to low so that the water is gently simmering.
- Poach the chicken for 1 hour until cooked. After cooking remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, pour the stock through a sieve into another large saucepan. Throw away the solids which are left in the sieve and return the stock to the heat. Bring the chicken stock to a boil and reduce by half.
- Once rested take two forks and shred all of the chicken meat from the bone. Set the meat aside and discard the carcass and the chicken skin.
- Next into a large saucepan add one tablespoon of vegetable oil and place the pan on medium heat.
- When the vegetable oil is hot add the remaining onion, carrot, celery, leekand garlic. Saute the vegetables for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Pour the reduced chicken stock into the pan of vegetables and bring to a simmer. Then freshly grate the ginger into the pan and add the lemon zest, chopped parsley and shredded chicken.
- Bring the soup back up to temperature and season with salt to taste.
- Serve the hot nourishingly healthy chicken soup.
People also search: